Serving Minnesota and Wisconsin
A proud member of NWMOA
National Waterproof Members of America
What is Radon?
Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas that seeps into your home and can put your family at risk. You can't see, smell or taste radon.
Radon is estimated to cause many thousand deaths each year. When you breathe air containing radon, you can get lung cancer. The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer deaths.
Where does it come from?
Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium found in nearly all soils. It comes up from the ground and enters your home through cracks and other voids in your foundation. Then the radon gets trapped and builds up your home. It is found in new and old homes, well-sealed or drafty. It is in homes with or without basements.
Radon can get into your home through cracks in solid floors, construction joints, cracks in the walls, gaps around service pipes, and cavities inside walls.
Based on a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) assesment of risk for radon in homes; radon in indoor air is estimated to cause about 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S. Smokers are at greater risk of developing radon-induced lung cancer which typically developes in 5-25 years of exposure.
The average indoor radon level, based on the national residental radon survey, is 1.3 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) in the United States. Average outdoor level is at 0.4 pCi/L.